If you are abroad in an emergency situation (e.g. as a tourist in transit you have to leave again and you have lost or been robbed of your passport) and you have no way or time to apply for the issuance of a new passport, Italian diplomatic-consular Representations, present both in Europe and in countries outside Europe, can issue a provisional travel document (also called E.T.D. – Emergency Travel Document). It is a document valid for one return trip to Italy or to the State of permanent residence or, exceptionally, to another destination. Please note that in the Schengen area, as part of their commercial policies, some airlines may allow boarding upon presentation of a theft or loss report made to the local police authorities.
In order to obtain the E.T.D. you must go to the Consulate carrying the following documentation:
1) report of the loss or theft of your passport or other travel document, made to the Consulate in accordance with Articles 46 and 47 and with the caveats of Article 76 of Presidential Decree 445/2000;
2) two photographs (identical, frontal, in colour, format 35 x 40 mm);
3) travel ticket;
4) receipt of payment of the cost for issuing the document (currently 1.55 Euros) and any postage if the person concerned cannot go in person to pick up the document.
It should be borne in mind that on pre-holidays and holidays this form of assistance may be precluded due to the closure of the Offices and postponed -except in situations of proven emergency – to the first working day.
Honorary Consulates are not entitled to issue the ETD, but can only forward applications to the appropriate Consular Office and possibly deliver the document to you. You shall bear the cost of sending the documentation by the second-class Consular Office and of sending the personalized ETD by the first-class Consular Office.
Please remember to make the report of the theft or loss of your passport to the local Police Authorities as well, for the purpose of facilitating your transit at the border.
Always remember to keep a photocopy of your most important documents (passport, ID card, credit card), in a place other than the one where you keep your original documents, to facilitate assistance procedures in case of theft or loss.
The ETD can also be issued to citizens of European Union Member States upon obtaining formal authorization from a diplomatic-consular Representation or the Foreign Ministry of the applicant’s country of origin and the following documentation:
1) report of loss or theft of the passport or other travel document, made to the Consulate in accordance with Articles 46 and 47 and with the caveats of Article 76 of Presidential Decree 445/2000;
2) report of theft or loss of passport or other travel document to the local police authorities;
3) two photographs of the applicant (identical, frontal, in colour, format 35 x 40 mm);
4) applicant’s travel document;
5) receipt of payment of the cost for issuing the document (currently 1.55 Euros) and any postage if the person concerned is unable to go in person to pick up the document.