The passport is both a travel and identification document issued:
- in Italy by the Police Headquarters;
- abroad by diplomatic-consular representations.
It is valid for 10 years, after which you must request a new passport. For general information on the issuance of passports abroad, on the types, and on what to do in the event of theft or loss, visit the MAECI website by clicking here.
Request for issuance of a new passport
The application for the issuance of a passport, to be formulated using the form at the bottom of this page, must be submitted personally by the applicant and must be accompanied by:
- passport expired or valid for a period of less than 90 days from the date of submission of the request or with no pages available;
- two recent passport-sized photographs, compliant with the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Convention
According to law no. 89 of 2014, the release is subject to payment of the booklet (42.50 Euros) and a tax (73.50 Euros) for a total of 116.00 Euros. There is no longer an annual fee.
If the applicant is not resident in the consular district of Chongqing, the release may take place in documented serious and exceptional cases, and is in any case subject to the granting of the Nulla Osta and the Delegation by the competent Police Headquarters or the competent diplomatic-consular representations.
Our compatriots, parents of minor children, are informed that starting from 14 June 2023 it will no longer be necessary to present the act of consent of the other parent for the purposes of issuing their identity document (passport and CIE), pursuant to the D.L. 69/2023.
Specifically, the new article 3-bis of Law 1185/1967 indicates that, when there is a concrete and current danger that due to the move abroad the latter may avoid fulfilling his obligations towards his children, it will be possible for the other parent request an injunction to issue the document. The request may be presented to the competent judge at the ordinary Court in which the minor has his habitual residence or, if the minor is resident abroad, the Court in whose district his AIRE registered municipality is located.
For the purposes of issuing documents for minors, however, the obligation of consent signed by both parents or by the person exercising parental responsibility remains.
Provisions regarding the passports of minors
Since 26 June 2012, minors are required to have an individual passport. Registrations of minors on their parents’ passports are no longer valid. Passports of parents with registrations of minor children remain valid for the parent alone until the natural expiry of the document.
For those over 12 years old, the acquisition of fingerprints is mandatory.
The validity of the passport varies based on age:
- 3 years for minors aged 0 to 2;
- 5 years for minors aged 3 to 17.
To issue a passport to minors, you must present yourself at the consular office with the following documentation:
- a request to be formulated according to the model at the bottom of this page, signed by: a) both parents, or b) by one of the parents with an act of consent from the other, accompanied by a photocopy of an identity document;
- two passport photos compliant with the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Convention;
- birth certificate (if it has never been transcribed in the Civil Status registers in Italy), accompanied by transcription and legalised;
- the presence of the minor is necessary for the authentication of the photo.
Attention: we inform you that minors under the age of 14, before embarking on a journey without their parents or those exercising parental responsibility, must obtain authorization from the competent consular office.
The authorization will be issued on the basis of the accompanying declaration of the parents or guardians, and will bear the name of the person or company or airline to which the minors will be entrusted for the trip. The declaration must be signed in the presence of the consular officer by both parents or by the person exercising parental authority. The accompanying declaration and authorization are valid for a single round trip only. In case of adequate reasons (medical treatment, study) their validity can be allowed for a maximum of 6 months.
For the accompanying declaration, use the form that can be downloaded by clicking here.
Attention: following the issue of a new passport, residents will have to go to an office of the Chinese Entry and Exit Bureau to request the transfer of the residence/work/study permit to the new passport, no later than 10 days from the issue of the same.
Passports stolen or lost in the consular district
Those who have suffered theft or whose passport has been stolen or lost in the consular district of the General Consulate of Italy in Chongqing, after having made a regular report to the Chinese police authorities (at the nearest police station) will be able to request the issuance a new passport (for residents in China) or an emergency travel document (for those in China for a short tourist or business stay).
– residents, following the issue of a new passport, will have to go to an office of the Chinese Entry and Exit Bureau to request the transfer of the residence/work/study permit to the new passport, no later than 10 days from the issue of the same
– compatriots in China for travel who receive a new passport or an emergency travel document, in order to leave China, will have to request an exit visa from the Chinese Entry and Exit Bureau (which generally takes five working days)
The issuing of the passport is subject to the payment of the booklet (73.50 euros) and an administrative fee (42.50 euros) for a total of 116.00 euros.
The Emergency Travel Document costs 1.55 euros
For further information, contact the Consular Office at the email address email@example.com or at the telephone number 0086 23 6331 6592 at the following times:
Monday to Friday: 10:00 – 12:00, 14:00 – 18:00